Cote Federal Day School (1915 – 1940)

Cote Federal Day School replaced Crowstand Indian Residential School (1889 – 1915) in 1915. It was located on Cote First Nation Reserve (Treaty 4). Following pressure from the United Church, in 1928 the federal government constructed a dormitory at the school to house students from Mondays to Fridays. The Cote school was officially approved for boarding students from 1928 – 1939/40.

New Cote Indian Day School (Kamsack, SK), Sept. 1958, The Provincial and Diocesan Synods of the Anglican Church of Canada collection/P7553 – 70
Cote Day School, ca. 1946, United Church of Canada Archives/93-049P1691
Cote Day School, ca. 1947, United Church of Canada/93.049 P1698
Cote Indian Day School, ca. 1938, Saskatchewan Archives Board/ R-A400-9
Cote Day School, ca. 1945, United Church of Canada/93.049 P1696

 

Cote (United Church) mission church after L.L. Dobbin’s farewell service – group at front door. ca. 1942, Saskatchewan Archives Board/R-A4008
Why handiwork cannot be taught systematically in this school.